Decentralised SCORM hosting from Acorn LMS
Shareable Content Object Reference Model, or SCORM, is a set of technological requirements for producing and distributing e-learning materials. The fact that SCORM packages are typically stored locally within an LMS might offer a variety of difficulties. Essentially, SCORM is a wrapper that facilitates reporting from HTML or, in the past, java content. The largest standard for educational content, by far.
Do you want to share SCORM content?
Many of our Acorn LMS customers want to share SCORM based eLearning to other organisations. Examples include, regulators, software companies sharing customer training or content providers. Currently, you are probably finding in the market what we found, and that there are only solutions that are very technical which allow for sharing of SCORM content, not very easy, along with not really enabling users to also host the content for their own audience.
What’s the workaround?
There are providers of technology that allow sharing of SCORM packages, how it works is you have to send SCORMs directly or have some form of LMS integration suite.
Challenges with this workaround:
- Organisations can’t manage content in a single place. This means every time they you changes, you have to send new modules to all clients, along with request them to upload.
- Risk of your clients updating content – having different version in different locations.
- You don’t have reporting on completions or progress tracking, raising issues with licensing and module issues/resolutions.
- If you need to revoke access to protect your IP they can’t
- If you need to revoke access due to non-payment you can’t.
All in all this can be summed by saying – you cant control their content once it’s left you and gone to your client.
Keep in mind:
- Some LMS restrictions can present issues (content size) links etc.
- There are solutions that address some of these issues but not all.
Those solutions limitations though are based on lack of multi-tenancy functionality, meaning you don’t get to:
- Reduce your number of learning systems to access and manage.
- No more cyber security auditing for multiple tenancies.
- Finally be able to bundle your SCORM content with existing content.
Acorn development team got to work
Our cloud-based solution solves these issues by providing a centralised location for hosting and delivering SCORM packages directly to any LMS, while allowing them to also host it internally within Acorn and multi-tenancy for other groups that don’t have the external need. This allows for greater flexibility in managing and updating e-learning content and ensures that all users have access to the most up-to-date versions of SCORM packages. Whilst also allowing the content to be within their own overall environment for things like compliance, integrations (think teams) and reporting.
It ends up looking kind of like this:
In addition, our decentralised SCORM hosting includes a range of features designed to make managing e-learning content easier. You’ll have access to detailed reporting and analytics capabilities, as well as tools for managing user access and permissions. With Acorn LMS, you can streamline your e-learning content management and deliver engaging learning experiences to your learners.
Get your SCORM content live in minutes